Our Phase 2 facility improvements and beautification projects are near completion. As stewards of this beautiful land we are proud to see all of the improvement planning come to life and we hope you’ll agree, Surf Sports Park is looking better than ever.
As we start to finalize the beautification of our facility we chose to take this opportunity to honor a legendary coach that helped us grow Surf into the club it is today. During Surf Cup, Surf’s founding members gathered to surprise, honor and unveil our new Surf Training Center sign, dedicating our fields to Colin Chesters – the most successful coach in Surf history.
Many veterans of our club know of Surf’s former Director Of Coaching, Colin Chesters, but for newer players he is the former DOC who grew Surf into the powerhouse that it still is today. Colin joined Surf in 1993 and from that day on he coached, mentored and taught all of his players what it takes to become a champion all while starting an unprecedented run of building nationally ranked youth soccer teams. Colin is an incredible coach with an outstanding record of accomplishments at San Diego Surf since joining in 1993:
- Total of 78 State/National Cup Championships
- Total of 19 USYS Regional Championships
- Total of 6 USYS National Championships
- 2 ECNL National Championships
- 1 Red Bull league champion 2008/09
- Surf was voted #2 ECNL club in the nation 2011 and 2014
- Surf has always been ranked in the top 10 in ECNL since joining the league in 2010
- Surf was named #1 club in the country in 1999 and #1 girls club in the country in 2004 by Soccer America
- Surf was given the 2016 IMG title for “Producing the Best Female Players in the Country
Under Colin’s direction, a record 6 Surf girls represented the GU18’s National team in Spain in 2016. In their game against Denmark, 5 of the 6 Surf girls were in the starting 11 for a record breaking 45% of the starting line-up coming from one club.
As a club, we are beyond thrilled to recognize Colin for his years of dedication to our club. Your former players are honored to have been coached by you and will likely hear you yelling “GO ON!” every time we drive into our training grounds. Thank you Colin for building a program that we all are #SurfPROUD to be part of.
As members of our club, we ask you to continue to take care of our fields, pick up trash and of course please drive slow and safely. Surf’s fields are one of (if not the most) coveted facilities in the nation – please work together to keep our home fields pristine.